Question: Massage?

Some surgeons recommend massing implants after a certain time, is this the same technique you follow, why or why not? If so what way do you suggest?
1 Comment

Thanks for your question and thanks for being here. 

So . . .here's the long answer.  There are some things that we, as surgeon's, know to be true because there are studies and science that prove it (like using sterile instruments in the OR). Then there are some things we have good reason to believe are true but don't have good science to support (Like using a Keller funnel to decrease risks). Then there are some things that no one really knows.  Massage is the last kind of these things. There's no research behind it and there's not really any great reason to believe it's helpful.  

Although there's no reason I can think of that it would be helpful, there's also no reason I can think of that it would be harmful. So I tell people that I won't stop them from doing it, but that I don't have any reason to believe it will help them.

Instead of massage, I advocate for muscle stretching by laying on new breast implants for about 15 minutes a day for the first year. If you ask me to support this with good research . . . I can't. I just know that the amount of pain that people describe after an augmentation became a lot less when I moved to asking people to do this rather than massage.

The short answer is: If any of us truly knew the answer about massage vs. other things, we would all do it. Since no one knows, the answers you find will be all over the place.

Have a great day,

Dr. Pyle

Login or Signup to post a comment